Alex brings seven years of public policy and legislative advocacy experience to TPA. Alex has four years of experience working for the State Legislature analyzing researching, writing, and shepherding bills through the legislative process. Alex has also secured significant grant funding for clients throughout California. Alex has expertise in the policy sectors of parks and recreation, local governance, public safety, transportation, cap and trade, and labor relations.
During his tenure at TPA, Alex has been responsible for securing millions in competitive grant funds at the private, state, and federal levels for local public agency clients. In addition to his expertise on parks and recreation, transportation, and public safety, Alex has a strong network of relationships with State Legislators and key staff, as well as various state departments and agencies. Some of his accomplishments include:
- Alex collaborated with state and federal Land and Water Conservation Fund staff to secure a $750,000 grant for the City of Imperial. This funded the construction of a 300 plus acre regional park and equestrian center. Alex then continued to work with the City on grant administration, ensuring the client was given the appropriate time to meet deadlines and retain their funding.
- Alex worked closely with members of the State Legislature to draft and introduce several pieces of transportation legislation, including a bill that allows for pedal powered buses or “beer bikes” to receive licensing directly through the municipalities they operate in. The bill allowed for greater local control and autonomy from the state, by cities and local governments.
- Alex has developed broad expertise with respect to public safety policy and funding. In conjunction with local stakeholders, Alex has worked successfully on a variety of public safety issues that affect local public agencies in California, including the fight against the trafficking and exploitation of minors, as well as the protection of local control regarding the manufacturing of medicinal cannabis products.
- Alex worked jointly with the City of South San Francisco to secure a $868,000 grant from the Active Transportation Program (ATP). Alex leveraged relationships with the California Department of Transportation and coordinated among local business stakeholders and school officials to craft a competitive grant application to the statewide ATP. This funding helped the City with their Linden and Spruce Avenue Traffic Calming Improvement Project to construct major traffic calming improvement to ensure bike and pedestrian safety at crucial intersections to residential and commercial neighborhoods.
- Alex worked in concert with the City of South San Francisco to secure a $658,000 grant from the San Mateo County Transportation Authority’s Measure A Pedestrian and Bicycle Program. Alex leveraged relationships with stakeholders in the County to ensure that the City of received the funding needed for their Sunshine Gardens Project, including major traffic-calming improvements on streets frequented by students walking and riding bicycles.
Prior to joining Townsend Public Affairs, Alex served as a Field Director for several local and statewide campaigns in the Bay Area, before going to work in the San Francisco and Sacramento offices of a member of the State Senate.
Alex was raised in Orange County and has a Bachelor of Arts with a Major in Politics from University of San Francisco. In his spare time, Alex enjoys traveling with his fiance, following soccer, and brewing his next great beer.
925 L Street, Suite 1404
Sacramento, CA 95814